How Long to Cook a Turkey in the Oven
The amount of time it takes to roast a whole turkey can vary widely, from an hour and a half to six hours or more, depending on the size of the bird and the oven temperature. To get a better idea of how long your turkey will take to cook, decide on an oven temperature, then multiply the proper amount of cooking time per pound by the weight of your turkey.
- 250 degrees: 30 minutes per pound
- 275 degrees: 20 to 25 minutes per pound
- 300 degrees: 15 to 18 minutes per pound
- 325 degrees: 15 minutes per pound
- 350 degrees: 13 minutes per pound
- 375 degrees: 12 minutes per pound
- 400 degrees: 10 to 12 minutes per pound
You can determine whether or not your turkey is ready to serve by sticking a meat thermometer into the thickest part of the meat to check its internal temperature. Once you see that the internal temperature is at least 165 degrees, then you can take the turkey out of the oven.