How Long to Boil Beans
How long to boil dry beans will depend on what type of beans you're making and whether or not you soaked them in advance. If you've soaked your beans, here's how long they should take to boil:
- Black Beans: 60 to 90 minutes
- Great Northern Beans: 45 to 60 minutes
- Kidney Beans: 90 to 120 minutes
- Navy Beans: 90 to 120 minutes
- Pinto Beans: 90 to 120 minutes
Generally, the bigger the bean is, the longer it will take to cook. If you haven't soaked your beans beforehand, you'll also need to add at least another half-hour to the cooking time. To check whether or not your beans are done, use a fork to test how soft they are.